Posts tagged sexism
Posts tagged sexism
it’s nearly 2014, wake the fuck up people. girls don’t HAVE to shave, being gay isn’t a choice, racism is pointless, rape isn’t funny and sexism is fucking stupid.
Let’s talk about this, shall we? I’m 16 years old. Since the age of about 13 when i would walk down the streets at midday by myself i would sometimes get honks from guys. At the time i’d think nothing of it. In fact it’s almost flattering right?
Then i got older and guys in my class started grabbing and slapping my ass, or making comment about my ‘tits’ and legs.
When i was in year 9 at school (about 14 years old) i was on the bus, in my school uniform and was pushed to my knee’s by a male while his friends circled me to make sure nobody saw. I punched him in the genitals and was suspended from my private school for doing so.
Nobody cared that i had been assaulted on a public bus.
Then i grew older and inappropriate comments kept coming, but now it was from people i didn’t even know. I’d walk down the streets in jeans and get cat called at.
In summer, i’d wear shorts and would be called a slut and a whore. Again by strangers. Sometimes girls would be embarrassed to be seen with me, or ‘friends’ of mine wouldn’t to come near me because i was dressed like a ‘slut.’
Fun fact: I am a virgin. When i say no, i mean it. If the boy continues doing so- well, i grew up with two older brothers- and i know self defence. But i shouldn’t have to know self defence. I shouldn’t have to ward off unwanted attacks. I’m 16 years old and i have to deal with anxiety issues now whenever i have to leave my house.
I go to a different school now, and i wear clothing that is not ‘slutty’ it is not ‘revealing’. The skirt i’ve been wearing is just above my knee’s. Most of the shirts i wear are singlets or tee’s. Yet when i walk by myself, boys will yell out ‘slut’ or ‘mmm i like those legs’ or girls will tell me to ‘put more clothes on’.
Today i decided this was going to change. I came to school dressed up in the most provocative clothing i owned. I revealed a lot of my skin and myself and wrote on both of my legs ‘STILL NOT ASKING FOR IT’.
Why would i dress provocatively? I’m practically asking for it now aren’t i? No. I’m not. No matter what i wear, or who i’m with, or what i look like, there is literally no excuse for sexual harassment and sexual assault . I was told to take the writing off my legs by teachers, which i refused to do. Girls walked past me and told me i deserved to get raped or assaulted because of what i was wearing.
What has happened to respect? What has happened to culture and women? Why are girls so willing to disrespect themselves and their bodies just so a boy will look at them?
So tell me, what were you wearing when you got sexually harassed or assaulted?
What were you doing at the time that warranted such behaviour to be directed towards you?
Tell me how i deserved it. Tell me it’s my fault.
I’m only 16, i don’t want to have to deal with this for the rest of my life. I should not be scared of walking alone. I shouldn’t have to get warnings from my parents to not go out past dark. I shouldn’t have to be worried about going out and being called a slut or some one trying to grope me or comment on my appearance.
Because no matter what, i am not asking for it, and at the end of the day a no is a no. This doesn’t make me a tease or a slut.
What boys do to you against your will is their call.
Their judgement, not your fault at all.
Is something not about your dick? Make it about your dick! Don’t let her do anything without reminding her that you have a dick.
"you have such beautiful hair wow its almost as long as my dick"
"do you always receive or do you like to give at times too?" is he proposing that she fucks him with a strap-on?
This is a bad idea. This flirting would not work on me.
A few retweets from the Everyday Sexism twitter page, a project that aims to highlight the daily slights that women and girls suffer.
THIS PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH I WANT TO PUNCH SOMEONE
I want to carry a phial of chlorine trifluoride around with me to erase these imbeciles wherever I see them… Sickening.
I AM SORRY BUT THIS IS WHY I AM EMBARRASSED TO BE AN AMERICAN. IF A HIJAB THAT DORNS THE AMERICAN FLAG PATTERN IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BUT SKIMPY ASS BIKINIS OR WEARING THE FUCKING ACTUAL FLAG IS ACCEPTABLE, JUST BECAUSE THE PERSON IS WHITE, I WANT TO FUCKING THROW UP.
(I don’t have a thing against Audrey Kitching, she was just merely and example).
But this fucking disgusts me right here. It makes me want to say, fuck this country and its racism and double standards.
I LITERALLY FUCKING CAN NOT
Give her a bullet to the head for walking down the street, minding her own business?? And they think SHE’S the terrorist.
^bolding for emphasis.
I want someone to force Bill Maher to read all of these comments 100 times the next time he goes on and on about how the US treats women sooo much better than those evil Muslim countries. Because it seems to me that we have plenty of people foaming at the mouth to treat Muslim women like shit here in the good ol’ US of A.
You mean there’s a racist and sexist double standard? I’m shocked!
so i went on the american apparel site today
looking at the socks
here’s one of the pictures for men’s socks
seriously i’m not one to complain about sexism much but i just looked on this site and??
THE FUCK IS THIS???
also BAGS AND WALLEtS???
????????????????????? I DON’T FUCKING GET IT????
Well I complain about sexism a lot because I don’t feel bad about it and this is fucking bullshit
no american apparel clothes for me or my kids or anyone i can guilt out of it in the future
Do they all pass the Bechdel Test? The answer is no. To pass the test the movie has to meet these three simple criteria:
- Have two women in the movie with names.
- They have to talk to each other.
- They have to talk about something other than men.
Every movie should pass this test but it does not. In movies about a female lead, you would think every single movie would pass but it does not. Here is a break down of the movies and whether or not they pass.
1. Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs released in 1937. It does pass. When Snow White meets the Old Hag when she comes to visit the OH asks if she is alone and what she is cooking. Part of their conversation does not involve men. It is a brief scene but it is the only time in the movie when Snow White talks to another woman.
2. Cinderella released in 1950. The movie does pass. Cinderella interacts with her step mother and sisters throughout the movie. The step sisters interact and talk to their mom throughout the movie and they talk with each other. The movie passes with flying colors since the men in the movie are background characters or animals.
3. Sleeping Beauty released in 1959. The movie also passes with flying colors. Aurora talks with the fairy godmothers. The fairies talk to Maleficent and talk to each other. The fairy godmothers and Aurora only speak about Phillip near the middle and end of the movie. Aurora’s mother does talk to Maleficent but the mother is not given a name in the movie.
4. The Little Mermaid released in 1989. The movie actually does pass, kind of. Ariel also talks to Ursula about whether or not she can turn her into a human. However, the whole scene is about her becoming a human and meeting Eric. Ariels sisters do talk in the movie but they are either singing, talking to Triton, or trying to talk to Ariel.
5. Beauty & the Beast released in 1991. The movie does pass, just barely. Mrs. Potts does have a conversation with Belle that is not about the Beast. The conversation Belle has with the wardrobe involves a conversation about the Beast. The Wardrobe is trying to convince Belle the Beast isn’t all bad.
6. Aladdin released in 1992. The movie does not pass. Jasmine is the only woman in the movie with a name. Her pet tiger is even a dude. The movie also is guilty of the Smurfette Principle because Jasmine is the only woman with a name.
7. Pocahontas released in 1995. The movie does pass. Pocahontas has many conversations with Grandmother Willow that are not about either John Smith or Kocoum. She also has conversations with Nakoma that are not about men, but they are more brief than the conversations with Grandmother Willow.
8. Mulan released in 1998. The movie also passes but just barely. Mulan has conversations with her mom and the Match Maker that does not involve men. Throughout the majority of the movie Mulan is the only woman in the movie.
9. Princess and the Frog released in 2009. The movie passes. Tiana has conversations with her mom and Charlotte that do not involve men. She talks to both women about her restaurant. She also talks to Mama Odie about her gumbo.
10. Tangled released in 2010. The movie does pass because Rapunzel talks to Gothel about the outside world, seeing the lanterns, and being the lost princess, at the end. However, Gothel is the only woman Rapunzel talks to throughout the entire movie. She does not talk to her mom at the end of the movie.
11. Brave released in 2012. The movie passes with flying colors. Merida and her mom communicate throughout the movie about many topics that do not involve the suitors.
So over all, all the movies but Aladdin pass. Some pass on really brief interactions with other women. Usually the lead female character is one of the few women in the movie with names. Snow White, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, and Mulan are the only movies that just barely pass. Even when Disney movies are about women, that doesn’t mean there will be a huge female presence in the movie.
Abercrombie and Fitch has decided that anyone over a size 10 jean isn’t sexy enough for their clothing line, and doesn’t want them shopping in their stores and sullying their clothes. They decided to only hire good looking people so that only good looking people will come into their store.
“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,”
That is an actual quote from their CEO Mike Jeffries.
I know I don’t have a lot of followers but this is something that isn’t right. They’re excluding people from being able to buy their clothes and they make it seem like it isn’t okay for people to be slightly chubbier or bigger than the average “cool kid” to own their clothes. This is something that shouldn’t be allowed to happen.
I’ve seen tumblr do some amazing things, and this place would be even more amazing to me if we were somehow able to show the douchebag who runs this company that his elitist, skinny-people only attitude ISN’T okay, and that we won’t stand for it.
Another quote from the article by Jeffries:
“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids. Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely.”
And according to the source, Abercrombie & Fitch has no problem selling XL and XXL clothing to MEN. So this isn’t just body-shaming and dismissal of overweight people in general, but OVERWEIGHT WOMEN SPECIFICALLY, who are by Jeffries’ SUPREME judgment objectively incapable of being cool or attractive.
Mike Jeffries is one of those dicks who wants to be 25 forever even though he’s nearly 70
In all honesty, people have been trying to knock that nauseating little fuck off his sexist platform for decades. If he hasn’t got his head out of his ass yet I think it’s pretty firmly wedged in there. I’m reblogging this anyhow, because people need to know who they’re supporting if they go shopping at Abercrombie & Fitch. You really want to help this tool finance his new pool house?
I tell you what, Mike Jeffries, I’d rather bethe size of a fucking bus than have an attitude as ugly as yours. I dread to think how many young girls people like you have driven to serious health problems because they think they’re not worth anything unless they can fit into a pair of your shallow, sexist jeans. Fuck off to another planet and stay there.